[LAU] firewire-thunderbolt adapter?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Oct 7 09:06:26 UTC 2017

"David W. Jones" <gnome-4S9g3957RhF54TAoqtyWWQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I have a System76 laptop. There's no Expresscard port on it.

On their current baseline "Lemur" model I see

Expansion: USB 3.1 Type-C, USB 3.0 Type-A, USB 2.0 Type-A, SD Card Reader

That's sort-of "ugh" for connecting Firewire devices.  Concerning the
bandwidth, I think you'd need USB 3 (USB 2.0 nominally has 480mbps over
Firewire's 400mbps but reserves less for synchronous transfers and there
are other problems IIRC).

I don't know about reliable adapters, but I haven't looked.

--
David Kastrup