[LAU] firewire-thunderbolt adapter?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Oct 9 04:05:16 UTC 2017

On 10/06/2017 11:06 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
> "David W. Jones" <gnome-4S9g3957RhF54TAoqtyWWQ at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> I have a System76 laptop. There's no Expresscard port on it.
>
> On their current baseline "Lemur" model I see
>
> Expansion: USB 3.1 Type-C, USB 3.0 Type-A, USB 2.0 Type-A, SD Card Reader
>
> That's sort-of "ugh" for connecting Firewire devices.  Concerning the
> bandwidth, I think you'd need USB 3 (USB 2.0 nominally has 480mbps over
> Firewire's 400mbps but reserves less for synchronous transfers and there
> are other problems IIRC).

I have a Gazelle Pro 9 (Gaze09 model), vs the current gaze12 model.

Expansion

2× USB 3.0 Type-A, 1× USB 3.0 Type-C, 1× USB 2.0 Type-A, SD Card Reader

> I don't know about reliable adapters, but I haven't looked.

I've got to try some. The only other option I would have would be to use
it on one of my desktop systems, which aren't exactly very portable!

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community