[LAU] changing ulimit from rc.local in order to start audio scripts from there

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Tue Oct 10 07:16:21 UTC 2017

Hello Athanasios,

On 10/09/2017 08:15 PM, Athanasios Silis wrote:
> Hi there,
> I have setup an audio system around jackd based on ubuntu studio (14.04
> LTS). I have written various scripts to setup jackd and clients. It is
> tested and up running. Now I would like to add a cmd in rc.local in order
> for the whole system to be brought up at boot.
>
> I tried
>
> #set limits
> su - nass -c "ulimit -r 95 -l unlimited" 2>&1 | tee -a  /tmp/audio.log
>
> #verify limits
> su - nass -c "ulimit -r -l" 2>&1 | tee -a  /tmp/audio.log
>
> #boot audio stuff
> su - nass -c "cd /home/nass/audio_setup/scripts ; bash ./cmdaudio start"
> 2>&1 | tee -a  /tmp/audio.log
>
> However the ulimit "set" command fails with message
> ulimit: real-time priority: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
>
> I read that ulimits are not ready yet at this time. Is there a way to
> forcefully "bring them up" in order to have them set for the user "nass"
> before starting the audio scripts ??

Try uncommenting the following line in /etc/pam.d/su:
# session    required   pam_limits.so

Reboot and your script should work. I would advise you though to not set
limits this way but to add the nass user to the audio group and check if
/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf exists. If it doesn't then run sudo
dpkg-reconfigure jackd2 and answer yes to the question if you want to
use JACK with realtime settings.

Best,

Jeremy