[LAU] trying to get pitch bend to work

Bill Purvis bill at billp.org
Tue Sep 12 13:42:59 UTC 2017

On 12/09/17 12:19, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
> The Artiprog (I think we're talking about this: https://artiphon.com/)
> is one amazing controller.  Six stacked octaves [for a keyboardist]
> with velocity and aftertouch for $400?  Dear God, what hath thou
> wrought :-)  I do hope they do an eight-octave version, I would miss
> the extreme octaves, but still, wow.
>> Response to pitch bend is partially a function of the soundfont
>> loaded into fluid. There are several (lots?) that don't respond, and
>> many that do.
>>
>> I very very much doubt that Fluid responds to the pitch bend range
>> RPN, but hey, I've been wrong before.
> It does appear that Fluidsynth knows about pitch bend:
>
> https://github.com/FluidSynth/fluidsynth/issues/154
>
> but given that you're not hearing it happen, there may indeed be
> different question-beasts involved, both soundfonts' responses and/or
> fluidsynth options.  I have done a bit of editing and study of  some
> soundfonts ( http://polyphone-soundfonts.com ) and did not see pitch
> bend response in the GUIs, though I will be unsurprised to be told
> better.
>
> It appears that Yoshimi and ZynAddSubFX, live synthesizers, both do
> pitch bend:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/p/yoshimi/feature-requests/13/
>
> and live synth should (theoretically) be more of a slam-dunk for pitch
> bending, because pitch control is not an option for the live synth,
> it's an absolute base-core item...whereas soundfonts themselves
> contain discrete note-chunks that would have to be morphed by the
> soundfont handler to make it happen well.
>
> --
> /Jonathan E. Brickmanjeb at ponderworthy.com
> <http://login.jsp/?at=02e47df3-a9af-4cd9-b951-1a06d255b48f&mailto=jeb@ponderworthy.com>   (785)233-9977/
> /Hear us at http://ponderworthy.com -- CDs and MP3s now available!
> <http://ponderworthy.com/ad-astra/ad-astra.html>/
> /Music of compassion; fire, and life!!!/
Actually, Artiprog is the editor, the device is an Artiphon:Instrument1.
But that's just being picky.

I don't understand why pending samples should be a problem. I've had a
Korg X5DR for years, that is
a sample-based synth module and it bends pitches just how I expect. I'm
not expecting it to produce
a perfect rendering of the sounds, something that sounds like a fretless
bass is all I'm asking for.

I guess I'll have to hack around and see what alternatives I can find.

Bill

| Bill Purvis                            |
| email: bill at billp.org                  |