[LAU] It's 2018 and ...

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Apr 18 18:24:58 CEST 2018

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, jonetsu wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 16:12:07 -0400
> jonetsu <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:
>
>> ... and one thing I do not get, as a simple user, is that after
>> upgrading firefox to version 59 from the distro's repository (Linux
>> Mint 17, ubuntu-based) firefox cannot render audio on youtube and
>> soundcloud.
>>
>> Have they abandoned QA testing in 2018 ?
>
> OK, got it.
>
> The upgrade somehow disconnected the jack sink audio output to connect
> it to the default internal mobo stereo out.
>
> I ran pavucontrol and saw this.  Reselected the Jack sink audio out and
> now it works.

turning all alsa devices off in pulseaudio will leave jacksink as the only
available sink and it becomes the default.

Part of my jack startup (starts with session) is:
pactl unload-module module-udev-detect
removes the module that detects a USB audio device getting plugged in...
pactl unload-module module-alsa-card
removes any module that can dirrect audio elsewhere from jackd...

In a static system (no USB audio) just setting a devices profiles to "Off"
in pavucontrol works too.

The other advantage of allowing pulse only to see jackd as an in/output,
is that jack's freewheel mode works correctly without crashing something.
It also gets rid of some extra xruns caused by pulse using sync from the
"real" audio device rather than jack. The PA-Jack bridge could really use
some love.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net