[LAU] Peertube for the win ;)

Phil CM philcm at gnu.org
Sat Apr 21 13:03:26 CEST 2018

Hi, list!

Just so you know, there's a new solution in town for producers who want
to showcase their work: Peertube <http://joinpeertube.org>.

It's a FLOSS initiative from a guy on Github
<https://github.com/Chocobozzz/PeerTube> (quickly backed up by
Framasoft, a non-profit already quite active on that front
<https://degooglisons-internet.org/liste>) who wanted to build a
decentralized video hosting platform by leveraging the brand new web
torrent uh, protocol <https://webrtc.org>. Right now it's in beta, and
boy it really is, please don't tell me you have troubles playing my
videos <https://exode.me/videos/search?search=yphil>, I kinda know.
Also I do understand that mp4 is not entirely free, and the boys seem to
know about that.

To test it, just create an account on any instance that allows it
<http://instances.joinpeertube.org>, and start uploading your videos ;
they'll be available on all federated instances. Exactly how that works
is still quite a mystery to me ; After that they're supposed to be
partially streamed from the hard drives of people that have the file in
their browser's cache. Or something like that.

The thing is, My video "No Sister"
<https://peertube.video/videos/watch/fed67262-6edb-4d1c-833b-daa9085c71d7>
is the *25th in the list of the most played videos* on /all/ federated
instances!! Can you believe that?

See, on Youtube we're nothing, but here, we can exist! Into the little
smelly shop that's just set up in front of the big obnoxious mall, we
can expect a reasonable amount of exposure and visibility :) Another
reason why I'm telling you guys that is because I simply find there's
not enough good music on there. I mean, the best music you can find is
mine, and that can't be good ;) My next album is going to be released
exclusively on Peertube.

Cheers,

yPhil

PS - That works for tutorial videos