[LAU] Microphone advice

Christopher Arndt chris at chrisarndt.de
Sun Apr 22 16:21:34 CEST 2018

Am 22.04.2018 um 15:54 schrieb robertlazarski:
> My other mic for recording amplified instruments or anything in my home
> studio room is the Shure sm57 ... Still probably the most common mic for
> a lot of instruments. Also has the advantage of being almost
> indestructible.

The SM57 might be good for guitar amps and even for some voices / types
of singing but since it is a dynamic microphone with low output and has
a rather special frequency response IMHO it isn't really suited for
recording e.g. acoustic instruments or (spoken) voice.

I you have only microphone and don't record guitar amps, I'd probably
get a big condenser. Small condensers are good for acoustic instruments
but usually aren't great for giving a full sound when doing vocals.

IMHO the Røde NT-1A is good choice for starting out, unless you have
very high quality preamps that can do better mics justice.

Chris