[LAU] Microphone advice

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Sun Apr 22 23:20:57 CEST 2018

On Sun, April 22, 2018 10:55 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> the best compromise is to buy a matched pair of small diameter
> condenser microphones. They are allrounder, not always the best choice,
> especially not in the lower price segment, but again, they are the best
> compromise for recording

I will say I generally agree with Ralf's assessment, with one difference:

> The polar pattern cardioid (kidney) is a good compromise.

Off-axis response is very difficult to get consistent, and because of the
physics of directional microphones the microphone will always be less
directional at low frequencies.  The most consistent sound quality,
particularly with lower cost microphones, will typically be with an
omnidirectional pattern.  That does mean that you have to experiment a bit
more with distance to the instrument if wall reflections in a small-ish
room can be a problem, but it also means that there is less change in
instrument timbre with distance (because of the way directional
microphones work there is a distance where they begin to boost lower
frequencies).
That can be a downside for voice, especially male voice, many people like
the way that directional microphones boost the lower mid frequencies, it
makes a male voice sound bigger.

Omni mics are also a little more difficult to setup for more distant
stereo mic'ing, like you might use for a chamber group or small orchestra.
 You will probably have to place the pair a little closer than you would
with directional mics, and you will probably want a baffle between the
mics to increase stereo separation.

With those caveats in mind, the positives are more consistent timbral
quality with changes in distance, less coloration of room reflections (a
directional mic will tend to pick up more bass off axis and less treble,
so the reflected room sound can be bass heavy or boomy), and possibly
slightly higher quality at a particular price point because of the less
complicated assembly compared to a ported backplate cardioid mic.

--
Chris Caudle