[LAU] M-Audio Fast Track Pro: unreliable, distorted recording

Felix Homann linuxaudio at showlabor.de
Fri Aug 3 10:04:38 CEST 2018

Christopher Arndt <chris at chrisarndt.de> schrieb am Fr., 3. Aug. 2018 um
00:41 Uhr:

> Admittedly, this isn't super low-latency and not ideal for
> multi-tracking and overdubbing, but for tracking a band it's adequate, I
> think.

Keep in mind, though, that with the MR/XR 18 you have almost zero latency
hardware monitoring via the mixer. So you  might not need ultra low latency
but only latency compensation which the DAW can do.

> The thing is that you control this device totally via OSC (Open Sound
> Contro)

And that's been the main selling point for me because it's relatively easy
to program some show automation this way.

> BTW, the MIDAS MR18 is almost the same device as the Behringer XR-18,
> except that the latter has two inputs, which also can accepts instrument
> (guitar) level), and the former has better Neutrik XLR sockets with
> locking mechanism.

The preamps of the MR18 are noticeably better than the ones in the XR18.
While "sounds better" is rather subjective the noise floor of the Midas
version is even measurably much lower for higher gain. The output level of
the MR18 is higher, too, with less noise. The Hi-Z inputs of the XR18 on
the other hand are a convenience but I get much better results with
external DI boxes. So in essence, the XR18 is very good IMHO, but the MR18
is even better and the price difference is reasonable (the Midas has 10
years of warranty BTW, while the Behringer only comes with 3).

This being said, Ketil, if the issues with the FTU8R are not hardware
related (as it seems) it should work rather good in Linux, so please, still
give it a try.

Regards,
Felix