[LAU] M-Audio Fast Track Pro: unreliable, distorted recording

Ketil Thorgersen ketil.thorgersen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 00:06:16 CEST 2018

Den 2018-08-03 00:41, skrev Christopher Arndt:
> Am 02.08.2018 um 17:04 schrieb Ketil Thorgersen:
>> Den 2018-08-02 13:42, skrev Christopher Arndt:
>>> For a band I would take a look at the MIDAS MR18, for example.
>> Am I right in assuming that it can record 18 tracks simultaneously?
> Yes, you can switch between two modes, where it either acts as a
> two-channel audio interface (presumably with potentially less latency)
> or a 18-channel one.
>
>> Can you even utilise the built in effects under linux?
> Yes, the effects work independently of the audio interface, think of
> this device as a digital mixer without a hardware control interface,
> wich also happens to be a 2or 18 channel audio interface.
>
>> And it works flawlessly under linux?
> So far I had no complaints. With my my system (a 5 year old intel i5
> laptop), I use a Jack frame size of 256 for the 18-channel mode.
> Admittedly, this isn't super low-latency and not ideal for
> multi-tracking and overdubbing, but for tracking a band it's adequate, I
> think.
>
> The thing is that you control this device totally via OSC (Open Sound
> Contro) and Behringer/MIDAs provides a GUI control interface (which
> talks OSC to the device via Ethernet or WiFi) for Windows, OS X, Linux
> (64-bit), iOS and Android. For the latter there are even third-party
> control apps, which provide a slightly better user experience. You can
> even send OSC messages incapsulated into MIDI sysex messages to the
> devices via the standard DIN-MIDI interface (i.e you could program a
> MIDI controller floor board to turn on/off channels or effects).
>
> But once you have programmed your routing, you can use these devices
> also as standalone (sub-)mixers, e.g. as a mixer for the the whole band
> in the rehearsal room, as a keyboard submixer, or a monitor mixer.
>

> BTW, the MIDAS MR18 is almost the same device as the Behringer XR-18,
> except that the latter has two inputs, which also can accepts instrument
> (guitar) level), and the former has better Neutrik XLR sockets with
> locking mechanism.
>

> Cheers, Chris

Thanks a lot!
I am really tempted to buy this - will probably do it even.

And to all of you who have been helpful. I did some more testing today.
Managed to get it almost silent through silencing all effects (thanks
for that tip) but there is still noise on some of the channels if I
crank it up enough. And some very silent digital noise tend to appear
after som playing around. I'll probably donate this to my school and go
for the Midas instead.

Thank you all so much for the help with this!!!
Happy playing!
Ketil