[LAU] M-Audio Fast Track Pro: unreliable, distorted recording

David W. Jones gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Aug 10 01:36:18 CEST 2018

On August 9, 2018 11:10:11 AM HST, Guillaume Pellerin <lists at parisson.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> What's the hell with this thread??!
> It seems like some of you are going crazy or an AI bot try to flood
> the discussion with pure off-topic shitty sentences...

Thanks for the voice of reason. It was just the Internet doing internet things. ;)

> BTW, just to mention that I had this lovely M-Audio Fast Track Pro
> working for years without distortion and now recently with a 64 sample
> JACK buffer through a 4.16.0-0.bpo.2-rt-amd64 kernel, on a good recent
> laptop.
>
> I can help anyone that give me all precise technical details needed,
> but avoiding any side psychoanalytic bug report.

My first thought was a hardware issue with the original poster's specific unit. On my cheap little Behringer UCA-202, when I have it recording from the inputs (say an external hardware keyboard) while simultaneously sending sound through the outputs (say the computer-generated sounds I'm playing along with), the line in signal strength drops in half. Stop sending anything out the unit's outputs, signal back to normal.

Or maybe something originating in a poor electrical ground somewhere in the wiring. If I connect my UCA-202 through a powered external hub, I get static. Disconnect the hub power supply, static is gone.

I also have an old cheap Yamaha keyboard workstation. Simply turning it on introduces steady, low-level white noise.

Sound and electricity can be a complicated mess. ;)

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community
http://dancingtreefrog.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.