[LAU] "Remastered" an accordion recording, want an opinion

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sun Aug 12 21:49:38 CEST 2018

Hi, I put up an accordion recording originally in April on Youtube at
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3encjdVuoWg>.  It's been an (I think)
improved version over a previous recording but gained no upvote and/or
comments as opposed to the previous recording where I tampered with the
recording using compression, EQ, and reverb.  Now it can be that it's
the same people who already commented/voted before who listened to it
but since I replaced the old video in a playlist, this is sort of
troubling: am I doing people a favor?

So I worked a bit on it with compression/reverb again and put up
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd9O7qfPJuo>.  Apart from the
remastering (with constant settings throughout the recording) and a tiny
shift in time to better sync to the video this is identical.  The
original recording was reduced to 75%L/R (since it was strongly
separated left/right) which was the only kind of processing, I think the
remastering was 80% (to compensate a bit for the washing out by reverb).

Would you think that I am better off using the latter version?  Does it
differ on playback device (headphone/speakers)?  Seems a bit like
cheating...

Thanks for any feedback!

--
David Kastrup