[LAU] aeolus, compiled and repos

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Aug 23 17:39:00 CEST 2018

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018, tom haddington wrote:

> Hello, All--
>
> i'm running Ubuntu Studio 16.04, for starters.  The Aeolus that came with the
> distro simply closes upon starting.  It also crashes patchage when doing so.  i
> really got no error, not even a seg fault, except that the terminal told me that
> Aeolus couldn't read ~/.aeolus-presets.
>
> So, i went to the website and downloaded the latest version.  After compiling.
> Aeolus would start, but no stops are displayed.  The terminal tells me, "Can't
> open 'stops/Aeolus/definition' for reading."
>
> This is very unfortunate.  A few years ago, i gave a temperament lecture and
> relied heavily on Aeolus.  i'd like to know that i can give it again.  Any help
> would be appreciated.

I am now no longer running Ubuntustudio 16.04 and have 18.04. Aeolus just
runs with no problem. However, I can not say the same for patchage. When I
try to connect aeolus to my keyboard or an output patchage gives an error
and shows no connection. However, If I then look at connections using
qjackctl, those connections seem to have been made after all.

In truth I had given up on patchage because I had trouble with it crashing
at odd times. In fact that may have been in US 16.04. while there has been
activity in patchage git, the release the package is based on is some
years old (1.0.0 in 2014). It may be that some lib patchage relies on has
changed enough to cause the odd problem but not enough to stop building.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net