[LAU] noise problem, need some help

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Aug 26 15:06:29 CEST 2018

On Sun, 2018-08-26 at 13:57 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> to refer to mouse _movements_

Dave Phillips, do you hear the mouse when moving and/or using the mouse
wheel? That's what most of us likely guess. Or do you hear noise, even
if you do not use the mouse, that stops, if the mouse is disconnected?

While nowadays even cheap consumer audio interfaces have an amazing good
signal-to-noise ratio, even expensive audio interfaces suffer from
computer noise.

Even a damaged (not completely broken) headphone cable shield could be
the cause for allegedly unexplainable computer noise in the audio
signal.

Most of the times I order something from my semi-conductor dealer, I buy
ahead a few very cheap 1⁄4 inch (6.35 millimetres) jacks. Just a few,
since the quality of those cheap jacks isn't always the same and apart
from this, I tend to use expensive jacks (ream and neutrik) for stressed
cables, but at least better jacks than the very cheap jacks. Sometimes
very cheap jacks are ok, sometimes they get borked, if they just see a
soldering iron at a distance. My point is that sometimes just cleaning
jack sockets, replacing jacks or damaged cables, does reduce computer
noise. Keep in mind that a connection could become too dirty or cable
gets damaged etc. randomly at the same time you update software or you
reboot. The noise not necessarily is related to an update or restart,
even if it started at the same time.