[LAU] Best filter for reducing condenser mic "crash" impact outdoors?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Aug 30 09:08:35 CEST 2018

On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 00:17:16 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>what do people use for damage control (prevention likely is a case for
>deadcats though I am not sure whether their absorption may be too much
>for this application) when condenser mics occasionally "plop" due to
>wind?
>
>One can hear this effect a few times on the outdoors "wasp" video
><https://youtu.be/vKCdTh7h8f8> between 5:00 and the end (5:22).

For this purpose a windshield pod with a dead cat is the only useful
accessory, if an averaged foam windscreen can't do the job.

>[snip (more text about audio interface issues, than related to the
>topic)]

>A final note on the mics (leaving the Linux-specific realm): I used
>hypercardioid Oktava MK-012 capsules (I think 0.5" diameter membranes).
>Would cardioid or even omni be less sensitive to wind as a rule?  Or is
>this a solid "it depends" or "naaah"?

The wind doesn't really care about polar patterns. Omni is an exception
regarding a lot of microphone "effects", but you won't use omni in
front of a camera, just because it's _less sensitive_ (not immune) in
this regard. The visual angle to some extend should fit to the audio
recording.