[LAU] Best filter for reducing condenser mic "crash" impact outdoors?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Aug 30 09:46:52 CEST 2018

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 00:17:16 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>>what do people use for damage control (prevention likely is a case for
>>deadcats though I am not sure whether their absorption may be too much
>>for this application) when condenser mics occasionally "plop" due to
>>wind?
>>
>>One can hear this effect a few times on the outdoors "wasp" video
>><https://youtu.be/vKCdTh7h8f8> between 5:00 and the end (5:22).
>
> For this purpose a windshield pod with a dead cat is the only useful
> accessory, if an averaged foam windscreen can't do the job.

Well, that there is no way to _fix_ the recording without wind
protection was clear.  The question was about making the occasional
dropout more bearable.  I did not even use foam here.  Need to order
some.

>>A final note on the mics (leaving the Linux-specific realm): I used
>>hypercardioid Oktava MK-012 capsules (I think 0.5" diameter
>>membranes).  Would cardioid or even omni be less sensitive to wind as
>>a rule?  Or is this a solid "it depends" or "naaah"?
>
> The wind doesn't really care about polar patterns. Omni is an
> exception regarding a lot of microphone "effects", but you won't use
> omni in front of a camera, just because it's _less sensitive_ (not
> immune) in this regard. The visual angle to some extend should fit to
> the audio recording.

Oh, this wasn't really "in front of a camera".  The mics were positioned
just outside of the frame close to the lower corners of the frame, more
or less both pointed at the hole.

Using omnis would have probably mandated getting even closer, more to
the left and right of the hole (and the frame).  I mean, the wasps were
good sports so far but ...

--
David Kastrup