[LAU] New GxValveCaster LV2 plugin

Thorsten Wilms self at thorstenwilms.com
Wed Dec 5 20:40:59 CET 2018

Hi Hermann!

On 05/12/2018 19.50, Hermann Meyer wrote:
> Currently there are no plans to incorporate this with the GxPlugins
> package.
>
> I think about making evtl. a new package from the latest plugs I've
> made. This may currently include the CreamMachine, the ReverseDelay and
> the ValveCaster.
>
> GxPlugins already contain 28 plugins, which is hugh, isn't it. I would
> love to exclude the best of them, like GxSuperFuzz, GxNightFuzz,
> GXLiquideDrive and GxSVT and made a new package with selected best
> plugs. The ValveCaster deserve for sure a place in that.
>
> Only I'm not sure how to proceed from here on.

You should of course experiment and organize as you like and enjoy. I'd
like to offer the following as food for thought:

As a user, I care about being able to load and share (old) Ardour
sessions without breaking plugin references and with the least possible
effort in hunting down package dependencies. In this regard, plugins
being moved into or between collections makes me nervous. I don't see an
issue with 28 ... or 56+ plugins in one collection ;)

Plugins changing in sound, especially if they are new, is to be
expected, of course.

As (potential) packager, I'd have to wonder how to deal with either many
single plugins and/or the shuffling. Maybe you could establish one
collection that is clearly marked experimental, "everything may change
drastically, don't package this" and another that is stable, for
production use? If further differentiation is required, I think doing so
based on quality will be hard, by topic much easier.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/