[LAU] 192kHz soundcard?

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Dec 7 22:03:03 CET 2018

IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> writes:

> hi all,
>
> i'm looking for a soundcard that can capture at 192kHz, preferably 4
> channels (at this samplerate), with phantom power.
> the frequency response should be fairly flat up to 85kHz (i'm mainly
> interested in the frequency range between 77kHz and 81kHz).

I rather doubt you'll be able to get a soundcard that guarantees
frequency responses above something like 32kHz.  The main point of such
high sample frequencies is to get rid of audible aliasing effects and
allow for processing without significant frequency warp when doing
bilinear transforms.  "Flat up to 85kHz" is silly for audio processing,
and 85kHz is just slightly below the Nyquist frequency of 96kHz,
requiring quite steep analog filters defeating the purpose of high
quality audio sampling.

Are there any "audio" cards with 384kHz sample frequency that is more
than a marketing gag but actually supported by the hardware?  Because
you'll have quite a better chance to be in a reasonable quality range at
85kHz if you are not as close to the theoretical limit while being way
above what is actually audible.

--
David Kastrup