[LAU] Looking for voice recording suggestions

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Sat Dec 15 00:10:27 CET 2018

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 23:54:14 +0100
<hollundertee at gmx.net> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I'm currently taking part in a game jam and I'll have to do a whole lot
>of voice recordings tomorrow.
>I have barely any experience with that.
>
>I do have a laptop, USB audio interface, mic, stand and a bunch of
>questions.
>
>1) Room: Besides corridors and such I have access to a roughly 2x10 m
>room or a bigger room, I guess 10x20 m. I guess go for the bigger one?
>They are both rather empty, safe for tables and chairs.
>
>2) Recording software? Ardour, something simpler?
>
>3) Post processing, normalization of some sort. I'll have at least four
>total amateur voice actors and all in all hundreds of lines.
>
>4) What did I forget?
>
>Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
>
>Best regards,
>Philipp

When you say 'voice actors' is this just spoken word? If so it would be a good
idea to put a pop screen in front of the mic to suppress plosives. If desperate
you can make one with a wire coat hanger and a bit of a nylon stocking.

Are they speaking one at a time or in groups? If singly hang a large duvet
behind them to deaden echos. In any case go for the larger room, and try to
position people and the mic to give the longest possible return path - avoid
90deg to walls like the plague!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk