[LAU] Looking for voice recording suggestions

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 09:32:25 CET 2018

To all the precious advice other people already provided I'll add from
experience recording with (especially) amateur kids but also adults:

- Watch for people generating unwanted noise especially:
	- paper (if they are holding sheets vs. having them on a stand)
	- clothes accessories such as necklaces, earrings, etc.
	- people sniffling or even worst coughing and clearing their throat
(this one particularly relevant for people *not* recording but in the
same room who think they are unheard if they are far from the mic...)
	- people moving and therefore sound of shoes, people touching furniture
esp. chairs and tables
	- people fiddling with noisy stuff like keys (true story!)
	- people whispering, giggling, etc. (again ones not recording who think
they are unheard)
	- external people coming in unexpected, knocking, etc. If needed put a
sign on the door or let people know

- Environmental noise:
	- Close all windows, seal the environment as much as possible to avoid
traffic noise, building noise etc. If I understand correctly this will
not be a sound-proof studio so a truck / bus / heavy vehicle passing by
could be very audible
	- Air conditioner hum and similar. Although it might not be feasible to
switch them off, if they are in the room try to find a position / angle
which picks their noise as little as possible

Finally, I would recommend (if you have the time), do at least 2-3 takes
regardless of your moment impression, even 4-5 of critical passages.
These might prove very useful in post to correct things you might not
notice when concentrating on getting them to record, in some cases they
can be a precious source for a single word or phrase to change, etc.

Also, if interaction between the people is not needed you might consider
recording each person separately (other people not in the room), this
helps concentrate, win shyness and statistically minimize noise :)

Good luck.
Lorenzo.