[LAU] Trying to record!

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Wed Dec 19 00:17:25 CET 2018

I told some friends to come over tomorrow to make a recording ... and, of
course, I can't get things to work on the computer. Hope someone can set me
straight.

I'm using pulse and audacity ... yeah, I know someone will tell me that
will never work, but it's worked just fine in the past. So, lets continue :)

I'm using a Audiobox USB interface with a single mic. I have tried
different mics and cables, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

In the pavucontrol program the audiobox shows and I select
    Analog Stereo Output + Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input

Now, when I bring up audacity I have 3 inputs available. Well, this time
... sometimes I have a list as long as my arm. But, for now lets use the
short list:
     HDA Intel ...
     Pulse

Both Pulse and Default appear to work as recording devices. Funny, though
is that at other times I've gotten a raft of HDA lines, USB lines, etc.
Doesn't seem to make sense to me.

First off, lets test playback of a track in audacity to phones. Great ...
perfect. Audacity (and everything else on the system)plays though the
device into the phones. I'm happy.

Now, I will record. I get the waveform. I speak into the mic ... and then I
play back ... and it is just awful, scratchy crap.

So, if you've read this far my problem is that I am getting crappy, very
crappy, recording quality with the audiobox interface and audacity.

Suggestions?

I should add this output as well:

 arecord -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: USB [AudioBox USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 2: ALC887-VD Alt Analog [ALC887-VD Alt
Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 4: U0x46d0x802 [USB Device 0x46d:0x802], device 0: USB Audio [USB
Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Thanks to all.