[LAU] Trying to record!

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Fri Dec 21 04:18:31 CET 2018

That is strange that modifying the PulseAudio settings first makes a
> difference.
> All I have to go on is the man page for pasuspender, which states:
> "pasuspender  will suspend access to the audio devices"
>
> Good to know that you figured out how to work around it.

Not saying that one really needs to do this ... just that it worked for me
today. I've not had a chance to try it a 2nd time, as they say "'tis the
season to be weary", but I will next week when things settle down a bit.

> > Only one more issue is that I can't adjust the gain in audacity for the
> > mic.
>
> The interface only has hardware knobs to control gain, Audacity will not
> be able to change the gain of the mic preamp.

I sort of figured that.

Or did you mean you wanted to change the gain of the recorded track after
> recording?

That's easy to do and works fine.

I don't recall if you mentioned what type of mic you use, the Audiobox
> only has a maximum gain of 35dB.  Should be more than enough for close
> position on instruments with a condenser mic, would not be enough to
> record a small chamber group from mid auditorium with ribbon mics.  For a
> mic relatively closely positioned to your saxophone that should be enough
> gain available.

I was doing my testing with a cheap dynamic. I'll have a go later with a
condenser. I will want to use my ribbon for sax recording, but at a close
distance. So, it should be fine. And, if not, I can always stick an amp
(well, mixer) into the loop.

The instrument input actually has more gain available, up to 50dB, so
> depending on what you need using the unbalanced input might work better.

That's interesting. I have a 3pin to 1/4 cable laying about. I'll give that
a go and see what happens. Would this effect the quality of the signal?

So much easier, for an acoustic guy like me, to not get involved in all
this recording stuff :)

--

**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca