[LAU] Trying to record!

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Thu Dec 20 19:48:14 CET 2018

On Thu, December 20, 2018 12:13 pm, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> Now, this time I did one thing first: I turned the
> inputs in pulse for the audiobox OFF. Then I launched  "pasuspender
> audacity"

That is strange that modifying the PulseAudio settings first makes a
difference.
All I have to go on is the man page for pasuspender, which states:
"pasuspender  will suspend access to the audio devices"

Good to know that you figured out how to work around it.

> Only one more issue is that I can't adjust the gain in audacity for the
> mic.

The interface only has hardware knobs to control gain, Audacity will not
be able to change the gain of the mic preamp.
Or did you mean you wanted to change the gain of the recorded track after
recording?
I don't recall if you mentioned what type of mic you use, the Audiobox
only has a maximum gain of 35dB.  Should be more than enough for close
position on instruments with a condenser mic, would not be enough to
record a small chamber group from mid auditorium with ribbon mics.  For a
mic relatively closely positioned to your saxophone that should be enough
gain available.
The instrument input actually has more gain available, up to 50dB, so
depending on what you need using the unbalanced input might work better.

--
Chris Caudle