[LAU] [Off topic] DIY Theremin

Bill Purvis bill at billp.org
Sun Dec 30 13:29:10 CET 2018

On 30/12/2018 11:08, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 01:40:17 +0100, Dominique Michel wrote:
>> https://github.com/domichel/black_star_theremin
> Congratulations Dominique,
>
> that's a very nice project :), nice that you make the schematics public
> domain.
>
> I guess I tried to play Thermin a long time ago for less than a
> minute ;). How long does it take to learn how to play it in a usable
> manner?
>
> Unfortunately playing a Thermin has got a learning curve, while playing
> the Animoog via touch screen is easy to do and does sound almost the
> same as a Thermine.
>
> However, I like all kinds of synthesizer keyboard replacements that
> could add some extra touch to the playing, that can't be done by a
> keyboard. Unfortunately I'm not aware of Thermin antennas, guitar synth
> and even something comparable to the Animoog touch screen thingy, that
> is able to provide the data by MIDI out. The Animoog as well as the
> Roland GR-55 guitar synth provide MIDI out, but the MIDI data does not
> provide what you get while playing the Animoog with a finger or when
> using the Roland GR-55's onboard synth.
>
> Guten Rutsch!
> Ralf
The problem is how to effect the changes is pitch and volume of what is
essentially
a continuous note. It can be done by using pitch-bend and aftertouch
messages but
finding a synth that responds properly to these is a problem. I've been
using
Fluidsynth mostly, but it totally ignores pitch bend messages! You need
something
which can handle extended pitch bend - several octaves ideally!

I have an Artiphon Instrument 1 which I would love to use as a fretless bass
but that uses pitch bend messages to effect the slides and Fluidsynth just
ignores them.

Bill