[LAU] The Box of No Return: a MultiJACK-based synthesizer

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at ponderworthy.com
Mon Feb 19 04:34:52 CET 2018

Running beautifully:

https://ponderworthy.github.io/the-box-of-no-return/

Four JACK servers in toto, just one connected to hardware.  Patches all
on the soft servers, most FX on soft, reverb only on hard; I only need
one reverb setting for all, and reverb does eat a lot of JACK
resources.  Lots and lots of CPU left over for more patches and patch
components.  If I run out of JACK DSP on my third soft server I'll just
add another, although I plan to run two small patches on the third,
should not be a problem.

Apart from finally uncracking my unused CPU and RAM capacity, there was
an unexpected benefit: when a patch overloads, the whole device does
not go down -- and the single JACK server which does have the overload,
recovers silently, after about a quarter second, and zita-njbridge
reconnects automatically, and everything is back.  No static, no major
badness, no nothing.  My gratitude again to Fons !!!  And everyone else
involved of course.  My first patch is quite big (three twin-patch
Yoshimis), and I'm running the whole at twice the sampling rate (96kHz
instead of 48), and the rare overloads appear to have been caused by a
bit of duplicate JACK wiring -- but it sure is nice to know that the
whole synth will not go down, or send horror through the PA, if just
one patch overloads.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman   jeb at ponderworthy.com   (785)233-9977
Hear us at http://ponderworthy.comcom -- CDs and MP3 now available!