[LAU] Christmas present for self.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jan 4 14:01:59 UTC 2018

On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 10:17:54 +0100, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>I wonder how much impact the KAISER patches to mitigate Meltdown will
>have on Intel CPU's in a Linux audio context. If those patches have a
>significant impact I'd surely go for AMD. And performance impact aside,
>the way Intel tries to find its way out of this mess doesn't really
>deserve a prize....

Don't believe the hype! It's gonzo journalism. Yes, there is a serious
issue with Intel CPUs, but similar issues apply to AMD (and other)
CPUs, too. At the moment they are speaking about low vulnerability for
AMD CPUs, but this easily could change soon. It's like talking about
the "Volkswagen emissions scandal". "Volkswagen" was the first, but not
the last company involved in this particular "Diesel emissions scandal".

In the past I used AMD for Linux audio only, now I'm using my first
Intel CPU for Linux and in my experiences Linux works that much better
with Intel, that I consider to get a more powerful Intel setup (right
after upgrading my Apple audio setup ;).

--
$ pacman -Q linux{,-rt{,-cornflower,-pussytoes}}|awk '{print $2}'
4.14.11-1