[LAU] Looking for AMD motherboard with PCI slot

Ivan K ivan_521521 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 6 20:59:04 UTC 2018

michael noble <looplog at gmail.com> writes:

> Be aware, these boards do NOT have integrated GPUs. They have the headers
> and ports, but the provision of actual graphics depends on you buying an
> AMD APU which contains integrated CPU/GPU. This is the same for all current
> gen AMD based mainboards. The current Ryzen chips are NOT APUs, they are
> CPUs only. In other words, if you buy these mainboards and a Ryzen 3, 5, or
> 7 CPU you will still need to buy a separate GPU. To make use of integrated
> graphics on the mainboards you have selected, you would need to buy a
> slower current gen AMD APU which are NOT based on the Zen architecture.

Ok, concerning the ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS MB, the
web page does say concerning the graphics:

Integrated AMD Radeon R Series Graphics
in the 7th Generation A-Series APU

however, concerning the CPU, same web page reads:

AMD AM4 Socket for AMD Ryzen/7th Generation
A-series/Athlon Processors

So are they saying that if you do put a Ryzen CPU
on this board (and not an APU), you just need
to put a third party graphics card in one of the
PCIe slots ?

Thanks.  I appreciate the collective wisdom
on this list.