[LAU] How to keep an updated "standard" linux audio system?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Jan 8 16:23:34 UTC 2018

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018, Peter Lutek wrote:

> would you be kind enough to outline your "conversion" procedure?

In general, this means back up what you have, install new OS, restore at
least your home directories, then install any binaries you have of
specific software (Ardour, plugins, synths) if you choose (though I think
Arch has most things you would need as packages) and go. Be aware that you
would either choose to install the same DE as you were using before or get
used to another. XFCE is quite a stable and versitile DE (Gnome2 like)
that doesn't get in the way of audio or video production. If you happened
to be using Unity as your DE (what were you thinking!?) you would have to
learn to use a new DE (but then Ubuntu has given up on Unity too so the
same either way)

A common method in Linux is to use two partitions (or more), One small one
40G for the OS and a big partition for /home. I actually have a number of
20G partitions to try various OS but in the last while have been finding
that cramped which is why I am suggesting 40G :) This makes it easy to
install a new OS to try out without disturbing your data.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net