[LAU] Example setup for zita-njbridge in multicast mode?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Jan 9 18:40:47 UTC 2018

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018, Will Godfrey wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 11:26:19 -0600
> "Chris Caudle" <chris at chriscaudle.org> wrote:
>
>> Going through the network to jack adapter layer adds additional latency,
>> so I'm not sure exactly what the purpose of running separate jack servers
>> at low latency would be compared to just running a single server with
>> higher latency settings.
>>
> I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the jack server can't make use of
> multiple cores, but surely multiple *severs* could each be on their own core.

Introducing a network layer adds more latency than creating a jack client
with buffer that talks to two jackd servers.

I believe jackd2 can use more than one core for non-dependant strings of
clients. That is, a jack aware application could split two jack strings by
calling itself two clients and buffering audio between them. However, the
purpose of jackd is to provide known latency. Adding workarounds to make
use of more cores destroys that.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net