[LAU] How to get started writing a JACK app? (also what distro for BeagleBone)

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Jan 10 19:44:23 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 11:54:43PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> It is quite common (unfortunately in my view these days) to
> implement things as JACK clients (i.e. standalone programs) on Linux,
> rather than as plugins (though this changing).

And I'm probably one of the major culprits.

As far as I'm concerned, that's not going to change. For me a
Jack app is just a 'system plugin'. There is simply no plugin
host that offers the same features and flexibility by far - not
even Ardour.

Think about what a plugin host is doing. It just offers
alternative interfaces to sound, MIDI, networking, GUIs,
etc. etc. It just copies services that are already provided
by the system. As a way to 'hide' the system and make things
cross-platform that makes sense. In any other way it doesn't.

Ciao,

--
FA