[LAU] Real-time percussion modelling 'demo'

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Jan 15 23:08:36 UTC 2018

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 14:49:57 -0800 (PST)
Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> First it sounds very nice. I went looking for some other recordings
> and they are nice too. Yes the technology to take the input from a
> drum head and pass it to a synth seems to exist, but I do not see any
> output for midi, OSC or proprietary control protocol so that the
> _performance_ can be recorded and the synthesis done later even using
> the same synth built into the wavedrum itself.

Personally I wouldn't agree with Sound On Sound in calling it true
physical modelling.  It's more IMHO about some kind of 'modulation' if
that's the proper terms. The Wavedrum uses PCM combined with DSP
processing. It will produce feedbacks in a live setting just about as a
microphone will.

As for the output of data, I included just a fraction in my reply to
Jeanette.  There are a lot.  It would certainly need a special
interface to get these out then a special interface to read them in.
MIDI will most likely not be up to it.  Korg would have to invest a lot
in creating a new range of synthesizers that could accept that kind of
percussion input - not sure if that's a good business plan.

Same with editing the performance before it becomes audio.

Yes, it is an instrument by itself.  Much like a conga and djembe are.

We already have since ages now velocity and pressure drum heads that
interfaces through MIDI.  What makes the Wavedrum different is what
remains inside, in the processing, eg. all of those editable parameters
and algorithms that characterizes a single sound hit that would need to
get out of the instrument in digital format for it to supply
information for an actual modelling synthesizer that could make use of
all these (proprietary) inputs.