[LAU] Real-time percussion modelling 'demo'

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Jan 16 01:23:46 UTC 2018

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018, jonetsu wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 14:49:57 -0800 (PST)
> Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
>> First it sounds very nice. I went looking for some other recordings
>> and they are nice too. Yes the technology to take the input from a
>> drum head and pass it to a synth seems to exist, but I do not see any
>> output for midi, OSC or proprietary control protocol so that the
>> _performance_ can be recorded and the synthesis done later even using
>> the same synth built into the wavedrum itself.
>
> We already have since ages now velocity and pressure drum heads that
> interfaces through MIDI.  What makes the Wavedrum different is what

I think if one was to take a MIDI note on as noteon for ch*
distance_from_rim velocity. Same three bytes used now but note number
becomes position. Note off becomes important again as the length of time a
hand (or whatever) is still touching the skin. Adding lots of program
change or cc messages for rim was hit too, percentage rim/skin. pitchbend
would still work for things like tunable drums.

I think PC as now would be before the hit, but unlike some synths would
not effect any sound now in progress.... or maybe it would. In any case
looking at any one drum as it's own instrument rather than seeing "drums"
as an instrument (channel 10 in case we forgot) would go a long way to
making better sounding drum synths. Basically there are three kinds of
events in a drum performance:
State - things that are set up before a hit - PC
Hit - timing happens here - strength of hit and position of hit
Modifyers - things that affect the sound all the time but might change in
real time.

Anyway, just idle thoughts. A real project would take a lot more time and
energy and playing around... but it would be better than channel 10.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net