[LAU] Ubuntu 18.04 can't stop Jack from qjackctl

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Jul 7 18:32:19 CEST 2018

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018, Dale Powell wrote:

> Thanks for pointing out jack_control, I should have searched that first rather
> than brute forcing it with the ugly commands I know.

jackdbus, as I understand things, if a wrapper around jackd. It is
however, very tightly coupled because it can do things like change the
master device or sample rate (don't do that) without stopping jack. It may
be that qjackctl is using this ability when you change devices. I have
found that I can plugin a USB device and switch master to that device
without stopping jack and most connections (except to system*) stay
connetced and the clients don't notice anything. However that only seems
to work once, trying to switch master twice (back to internal so I can
pull the plug) seems to freeze jackdbus.

certainly pulling the plug while jack is using a USB device has always
been a problem for me though I know of others who have been able change
master even after unplugging the device.

I do not recall having this problem in the past. Something to look at in
the code to see what is different from jackd 1.9.11 and 1.9.12.

> package, not something that has always been like this on 18.04 for me. When did
> you last do an apt upgrade?

apt update shows: "All packages are up to date."

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net