[LAU] Ubuntu 18.04 can't stop Jack from qjackctl

Dale Powell dj_kaza at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 7 18:39:47 CEST 2018

"The problem (feature) with the debian jackd2 install of both jackd
and jackdbus, is that if jack is not running and the user starts an
application looking for jack, it will start jackd for them by default.
then qjackctl will not be able to run jackdbus as normal."

I have qjackctl as one of my Startup Applications, starts minimised to Tray but is always running well before I could even consider opening an audio application so this definitely isn't my issues. I've always worked like this.

I didn't think you could change devices, or generally get any of the Settings you change to take affect, without Stopping and Starting the Jack Server again. Not actually really tested it though. I have two saved configs, one for my internal audio, one for my external interface. I'd usually - Stop, open Settings, select other Config, OK, Start - and everything would be good. Now it hangs when I hit Stop, or if it doesn't and looks to have stopped I don't believe it really has as I did a test and still got unbroken sound, which I know usually dies if I Stop Jack while something is playing through it.

I've tried with the d-bus settings both enabled and disabled with no overall joy but have to admit I've always been confused into exactly what affect these really have on the system....

Dale.