[LAU] Are there benefits to running a USB 2.0 audio interface on a newer version port?

hollundertee at gmx.net hollundertee at gmx.net
Tue Jul 17 08:06:02 CEST 2018

Hi,

I've started to live stream a bit during the last year and just now
added headphones to the mix. I started to wonder whether my audio
interface can actually supply enough power to both a condenser mic and
a pair of headphones. I figured out that newer USB standards allow for
more power hungry devices, but does that in any way help with a USB 2.0
device?

My interface is the same old Edirol UA-25 that I've been using for a
couple of years now. It is USB 2.0 and bus powered.
It needs to supply a Røde NT-1A with phantom power and drive my new AKG
K702s at the same time. I noticed that I need to increase the output
gain a fair bit to get a good level (roughly at 50%-60% whereas I
have it at 20% with speakers).
The rig I run this on I built last year, it is based on a ASUS PRIME
B350-PLUS which provides USB 2.0, USB 3.0 as well as USB 3.1 ports
(although I can't tell which USB 3.1, way to go on that naming scheme,
my only explanation is they ran out of numbers).

I don't have other gear to compare, do you think the UA-25 can handle
it properly? Is it any help to plug it into a USB 3.0 or 3.1 port?

Best Regards,
Philipp