[LAU] Are there benefits to running a USB 2.0 audio interface on a newer version port?

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Tue Jul 17 16:38:04 CEST 2018

On Tue, July 17, 2018 1:06 am, hollundertee at gmx.net wrote:
> I figured out that newer USB standards allow for
> more power hungry devices, but does that in any way help with a USB 2.0
> device?

I think in principle a new device could support the newer power standards
and still run the data transfer as USB 2.0, but I doubt any devices
actually do that.  If there were such a device it would likely have a USB
C type connector instead of the traditional square USB B connector.

> My interface is the same old Edirol UA-25 that I've been using for a
> couple of years now. It is USB 2.0 and bus powered.

Bus powered means the entire device is limited to under 2.5W.

> It needs to supply a Rode NT-1A with phantom power and
> drive my new AKG K702s at the same time.

Rode does not provide information about the power consumption of the
NT-1A, other microphones vary anywhere from 2mA to 10mA, usually 3mA-6mA
would probably be considered common, so using under 0.3W of your 2.5W
total power budget (per microphone).

The K702 spec lists the maximum input power as 200mW.  That would be well
over 110dB, so quite loud.

So one microphone and headphones at deafening levels should only account
for 0.5W of the 2.5W available power.  Should be no problem.

> I noticed that I need to increase the output
> gain a fair bit to get a good level (roughly at 50%-60% whereas I
> have it at 20% with speakers).

You have an amplifier between the line level outputs and your speakers.
You could always add an external headphone amp if you would rather spend
more money than twist your volume knob.

> Is it any help to plug it into a USB 3.0 or 3.1 port?

No.

--
Chris Caudle