[LAU] reducing xruns (System configuration)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jul 20 00:38:42 CEST 2018

On Fri, 2018-07-20 at 00:25 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:
>
> > Btw. if you reply to me, I don't receive a duplicated mail from the
> > mailing list, since I dislike receiving two times the same email. IOW
> > there will be no mailing list header in your replies to me.
>
> There will be no mailing list _footer_.  The mailing list, of course, is
> in the Cc field, and you have the option to "Reply to all" in order to
> reply to both sender and mailing list, or just "Reply" in order to reply
> only to the sender.
>
> That is _exactly_ the same way you respond to mail sent via the list.

That depends on the used MUA, it#s not when I reply using Claws mail and
apart from this, it makes filtering mails by mailing list impossible,
usage of mailing list features provided by the MUA, such as "show
archive" impossible.

> > It's common practise, part of netiquette, to reply to mailing lists
> > only, as long as it's not an open mailing list or as long as not a
> > group of developers should take attention to a mail, to a developers
> > mailing list.
>
> Linux-audio-user is not a developer list, and it is an open list
> according to its list page

Correct!

> posters to it are not necessarily subscribed.

Incorrect! Since it's not an open mailing list, you need to be
subscribed.

> > While this could happen by accident, you are doing it with intent
> > again and again. I don't care about your continuously derogatory tone
> > of voice, but its annoying when you continuously break mailing list
> > headers.
>
> I don't "break mailing list headers".  I use "Reply to All" in order to
> reply to all.  The alternative would be "Reply", replying to just you.
> Other options would be more esoteric.

No there is the option to reply to a mailing list only. If your MUA
doesn't support it, do it manually.

> The mail I replied to had the following headers regarding routing:
>
>     From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
>     To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>
> That's it.  No "Mail-Reply-To:", no "List-Reply-To:", no "Reply-To:".
> The mailing list itself was in the "Sender:" header, but it's not normal
> to reply to that.
>
> > Plese reply to the mailing list only.
>
> Look, you set your mailing list options _exactly_ to "avoid duplicates"
> in order _not_ to receive duplicate mails.  Now you complain that you
> don't receive mails sent via the mailing list.

I receive emails from mailman mailing lists, if they are send to the
mailing list only!

> At some point of time, you need to decide yourself.

Yes, one mail only, from the mailing list only!

> The way the mailing list is set up to operate, the options for replying
> with standard mail clients are either _only_ to the author of a mail, or
> to "all" which includes Cc: and To: fields.
>
> If you want everybody answering you on the list to use his mail client
> in non-standard manners specifically for replying to you, you have an
> upstream battle before you.  Alternatively, try convincing the list
> owners to set up the mailing list headers differently in order to have
> them match your idea of "netiquette".  That would likely involve setting
> at least a "List-Reply-To:" header (which is sort of the strongest
> standard hint) or a "Reply-To:" header which usually is frowned upon.

When using Evolution, a reply to all could invoke a reply to the mailing
list only. I'm using both kinds of MUAs, those that invoke a reply to
the mailing list only by reply and those who do that by reply to all.
Both have got pitfalls when using it for different kind of mailing löist
settings and different mailing list approaches, however, regarding the
duplicated mail issue, that e.g. makes filtering by mailing list
impossible, even if I would receive both mails, just one could be
filtered.

> Naturally, you can yourself set a "Reply-To:
> linux-audio-user at linuxaudio.org" header when posting to the list in
> order to express your desire _never_ to receive personal replies.  Or a
> "List-Reply-To:" header for expressing your desire to not receive copies
> for replies to the list.

This comes with pitfalls, lists could have different settings. You are
simply not doing the right thing.

> Since at the current point of time, the mailing list apparently is set
> up _not_ to tamper with those headers, they are free for you to
> customize in order to have the default behavior of replies to the list
> match your preferences even without requiring every single one of your
> correspondants to hand-edit headers just for placating you.
>
> In general, it will be a lot easier to teach your preferences to your
> mail client than every single person on the mailing list.

You are doing it wrong!