[LAU] reducing xruns (System configuration)

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Jul 20 00:56:23 CEST 2018

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> On Fri, 2018-07-20 at 00:25 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Linux-audio-user is not a developer list, and it is an open list
>> according to its list page
>
> Correct!

>> posters to it are not necessarily subscribed.
>
> Incorrect! Since it's not an open mailing list, you need to be
> subscribed.

Sigh.  Do you even read what you are replying to?

According to the list page, this is an open list.  The list page states:

> Using Linux-audio-user

I will not rule out that unsubscribed members are automoderated and
nobody actually ever moderates.  But at least formally, this is an open
list.

>> I don't "break mailing list headers".  I use "Reply to All" in order
>> to reply to all.  The alternative would be "Reply", replying to just
>> you.  Other options would be more esoteric.
>
> No there is the option to reply to a mailing list only. If your MUA
> doesn't support it, do it manually.

If you wish people to reply to mails of yours in a particular manner,
set the Reply-To: header for mails to that mailing list.

>> The mail I replied to had the following headers regarding routing:
>>
>>     From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
>>     To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>>
>> That's it.  No "Mail-Reply-To:", no "List-Reply-To:", no "Reply-To:".
>> The mailing list itself was in the "Sender:" header, but it's not normal
>> to reply to that.
>>
>> > Plese reply to the mailing list only.
>>
>> Look, you set your mailing list options _exactly_ to "avoid duplicates"
>> in order _not_ to receive duplicate mails.  Now you complain that you
>> don't receive mails sent via the mailing list.
>
> I receive emails from mailman mailing lists, if they are send to the
> mailing list only!
>
>> At some point of time, you need to decide yourself.
>
> Yes, one mail only, from the mailing list only!

Then set up your Reply-To: header appropriately when mailing to the
mailing list.

>> The way the mailing list is set up to operate, the options for replying
>> with standard mail clients are either _only_ to the author of a mail, or
>> to "all" which includes Cc: and To: fields.
>>
>> If you want everybody answering you on the list to use his mail client
>> in non-standard manners specifically for replying to you, you have an
>> upstream battle before you.  Alternatively, try convincing the list
>> owners to set up the mailing list headers differently in order to have
>> them match your idea of "netiquette".  That would likely involve setting
>> at least a "List-Reply-To:" header (which is sort of the strongest
>> standard hint) or a "Reply-To:" header which usually is frowned upon.
>
> When using Evolution, a reply to all could invoke a reply to the mailing
> list only.

Which is _exactly_ what you want.

> I'm using both kinds of MUAs, those that invoke a reply to the mailing
> list only by reply and those who do that by reply to all.  Both have
> got pitfalls when using it for different kind of mailing löist
> settings and different mailing list approaches, however, regarding the
> duplicated mail issue, that e.g. makes filtering by mailing list
> impossible, even if I would receive both mails, just one could be
> filtered.

What kind of mail client is unable to recognize a mail belongs to a
certain mailing list when the mailing list is in the Cc: field?

I am _not_ talking about multiple replies, one to list-only, one to
sender-only.  Those are annoying as hell because when you don't notice,
you end up replying to the sender-only reply, ending up not sending
anything to the list.

What we are talking about here is a Reply-All where the mailing list, as
the original To: header entry, gets placed in Cc: .

>> Naturally, you can yourself set a "Reply-To:
>> linux-audio-user at linuxaudio.org" header when posting to the list in
>> order to express your desire _never_ to receive personal replies.  Or a
>> "List-Reply-To:" header for expressing your desire to not receive copies
>> for replies to the list.
>
> This comes with pitfalls, lists could have different settings.

You just said that you use a mail client to sort mails according to the
list they belong to.  So set your header preferences according to the
list you send to.