[LAU] reducing xruns (System configuration)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jul 20 16:59:47 CEST 2018

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 09:21:07 -0500, Chris Caudle wrote:
>You do have separate dedicated computers for audio and
>banking, right?

Not everybody does online banking during a real-time audio session. If
the computer is disconnected from the Internet during an audio
session, with Meltdown mitigation disabled, nobody could access the
computer via the Internet. If the real-time audio session is finished,
just reboot the computer with page table isolation enabled, connect to
the Internet and do your online-banking.

Some users might be connected to the Internet with an insecure
computer, because security isn't something they are concerned about.
IMO security is important, but OTOH I never ever would wear a wallet
connected to a chain.

See https://www.wikihow.com/Secure-a-Wallet .

1. This isn't secure at all.
2. Even if it should be secure, you would pay the price to look like an
   idiot.

Safety measures should be adequate, for your wallet, as well as for
your computer. If a safety measure should be inadequate, .e.g. because
you look like an idiot or because it has got negative impact on your
computer usage, there might be other safety measures to reach identical
good security. How about router with a firewall and other safety
measures (I'm not an expert)? The router should use page table
isolation, the computers connected to the router perhaps don't need it
anymore.