[LAU] reducing xruns (System configuration)

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Fri Jul 20 17:48:45 CEST 2018

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> writes:

> Some users might be connected to the Internet with an insecure
> computer, because security isn't something they are concerned about.
> IMO security is important, but OTOH I never ever would wear a wallet
> connected to a chain.
>
> See https://www.wikihow.com/Secure-a-Wallet .
>
> 1. This isn't secure at all.
> 2. Even if it should be secure, you would pay the price to look like an
>    idiot.

Shrug.  I use a watch chain after having lost pocket watches to the
floor.  The flywheel axle just is too brittle and you cannot afford
replacements.  I'd rather look like an idiot than be one.

> Safety measures should be adequate, for your wallet, as well as for
> your computer. If a safety measure should be inadequate, .e.g. because
> you look like an idiot or because it has got negative impact on your
> computer usage, there might be other safety measures to reach
> identical good security. How about router with a firewall and other
> safety measures (I'm not an expert)? The router should use page table
> isolation, the computers connected to the router perhaps don't need it
> anymore.

You are aware that JavaScript exploits have already been created?  A
Firewall will not protect you from looking at websites.  Or if it does,
it's likely easier to just not connect in the first place rather than
use a Firewall that is essentially a brick.

--
David Kastrup