[LAU] reducing xruns (System configuration)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jul 20 18:59:18 CEST 2018

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 17:48:45 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>I use a watch chain after having lost pocket watches to the
>floor.  The flywheel axle just is too brittle and you cannot afford
>replacements.  I'd rather look like an idiot than be one.

A watch chain is something completely different, since it's
unostentatiously filigree and it's worn by completely different people,
for exactly the purpose, to prevent against dropping the clock. Sure,
sometimes it's jewellery, an earring is jewellery, too, there's nothing
wrong with this.

A wallet chain cannot be overlooked and is warn by not to different
kind of men, in combination with additional would-be masculinely
clothes and absurd thick wallets. Their earrings are more likely tunnels
and their is nothing wrong with a tunnel, unless the tunnel isn't
overdone, but here we go, the purpose is to be just somebody of a
group, but within this group, the most extrem accepted of the group.

However, in the context of the analogy, it is a picture for
"proportionality". I don't know if there are other safety measures that
could make page table isolation unneeded, other than the one I
described. If page table isolation should have bad impact on real-time
audio sessions, than disconnect from the Internet and reboot with
'nopti'. For online usage reboot with page table isolation enabled,
before you connect to the Internet. No second machine is required, it
could be done by one computer with at least two boot menu entries.
Maybe, I don't know, there are other workarounds for those who want to
use the Internet during an audio session, with the same computer. If it
shouldn't be a router with a firewall, perhaps something else.

In a nutshell, if the OP wants to use an USB audio Interface with this
particular IC, at that low latency, I suspect taking care about
Meltdown JavaScript exploits isn't an option.

From a mail the OP wrote:

>>    PID CLS RTPRIO  NI PRI %CPU STAT COMMAND
>>    441 FF      50   -  90  0.0 S    irq/29-mei_me
>>    527 FF      50   -  90  0.0 S    irq/31-iwlwifi
>>      8 TS       -   0  19  0.0 S    ksoftirqd/0
>>     18 TS       -   0  19  0.0 S    ksoftirqd/1
>>     24 TS       -   0  19  0.0 S    ksoftirqd/2
>>     30 TS       -   0  19  0.0 S    ksoftirqd/3
>>     36 TS       -   0  19  0.0 S    ksoftirqd/4
>>     42 TS       -   0  19  0.0 S    ksoftirqd/5
>>     48 TS       -   0  19  0.0 S    ksoftirqd/6
>>     54 TS       -   0  19  0.0 S    ksoftirqd/7

The OP anyway should get rid of the wlan adapter. Maybe PTI isn't an
issue at all, but if it should be, it shouldn't matter.