[LAU] reducing xruns (System configuration)

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jul 21 08:52:47 CEST 2018

On 07/20/2018 04:21 AM, Chris Caudle wrote:
> On Fri, July 20, 2018 3:52 am, david wrote:
>> And I figured out where to put pti=off on my various GRUB lines, so now
>> it boots with it off. And my desktop latency is back to 10msecs. :)
>
> That is good to know. And depressing, one more thing to add to the latency
> performance checklist. Set RT permissions, add user to audio group, etc.
> ...oh, and one last thing, you need to decide whether you want better
> performance or want to protect against malicious software reading you
> kernel memory.  You do have separate dedicated computers for audio and
> banking, right? And a third for general web use?  Just make sure you
> banking and web browsing computers leave PTI enabled, it's probably OK to
> disable it on your dedicated audio computer since you don't connect it to
> the Internet.

Mozilla implemented Meltdown/Spectre patches beginning in v57.0.4:

https://news.softpedia.com/news/mozilla-firefox-57-0-4-released-with-meltdown-and-spectre-patches-519241.shtml

And I always run with Javascript disabled plus adblocking to keep out
unwanted intrusions on my browsing experience. ;)

--
David W. Jones
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community