[LAU] AVL2018 first impressions

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 22 17:49:37 CEST 2018

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 17:41:49 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 14:48:59 +0000, Dale Powell wrote:
>>My root password works fine when issuing commands (such as apt update)
>>in the terminal but it does not accept it as being the correct
>>password when trying the GUI settings features such as those found in
>>AV Linux Assistant (also tried the default one from the manual and
>>that doesn't work either.) Tried at least 20 times!
>
>If you write a text using a GUI app and you use the keys used for your
>password, are the correct letters displayed? If not perhaps running
>
>  sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
>  shutdown --reboot now
>
>does solve the issue, or as a temporarily workaround remember the wrong
>letters and type those as your password.
>
>A Linux install could have a system wide setting for the keyboard
>layout and at least another for a desktop environment's user session.
>
>I neither use a desktop environment, nor AVL, but it's a known issue,
>that the user-friendliness of desktop environments used on Debian based
>distros has got a tendency to go berserk.
>
>Consider to read the complete thread:
>https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-users/2018-July/011256.html
>https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-users/2018-July/thread.html

I suspect the dpkg-reconfigure hint won't work for you. There must be a
setting for your user session, that does not require a password, to
change the keyboard layout for the user session. Perhaps the log in
screen does provide a language setting. Or how about
http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2013/11/how-to-configure-keyboard-layouts-in-xfce-cinnamon-mate.html ?