[LAU] AVL2018 first impressions

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Jul 22 18:07:48 CEST 2018

On 07/22/2018 05:51 PM, Dale Powell wrote:

>>> Doesn't prompt for locale settings on install and there is no
language and locale in the Settings.

>> I'll argue that this is a feature. If it is music production that
>> you are after, learn some basic English. That helps across the
>> board.
>>
>> Also most music-software and plugins etc are not translated to
>> begin with, so you would end up with an odd language mix.
>
> I am English. But I'm certainly not American! Plus no matter what
> your language you're still going to want to type track names etc
> with the keys on your keyboard where you expect them to be! Then as
> I'm sure you are aware there are other differences such as way dates
> and numbers> are displayed which there is no reason to not have set
> as the user desires and to refer to the lack of this as a feature is
> rather silly IMO.
You only mentioned language and locales. Those are independent and
separate of the keyboard layout, so I misunderstood what you meant.

and yes, keyboard layouts should be configurable. but locales not so
much. besides it also helps to remove unused locales from the install
medium to keep it small.

>> You went way to deep :) The point of AVLinux is to be an appliance:
> Boot, make music. Don't even bother to customize or update the system.
>
> I do hope you're joking! 😲

nope.