[LAU] Streaming setup with OBS and JACK

hollundertee at gmx.net hollundertee at gmx.net
Thu Jul 26 09:07:45 CEST 2018

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 08:58:50 -0700 (PDT)
Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2018, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>  [...]
>
> I have been using PA and Jack bridged for about 4 years now. My
> script has changed during that time, not for problems but to make it
> more generic. I use jackd as the audio device for pulse. That is I
> remove the alsa and udev modules from pulse (after starting). This
> ensures that jack is always the default i/o and as a side benefit
> allows jack to freewheel with no problems and gives better xrun
> immunity. I do not use the jackdbus-detect module, but rather use
> jacksink or jacksource modules as needed to ensure separate stereo
> pairs rather 4 channels being used as suround... I always set the
> pulse modules _not_ to auto connect, prefering to have jack_connect,
> jack_disconnect or jack-plumbing do that job to the port I want
> connected (system_1/2 are not always right).
>
> I use this for all desktop audio, all the time and have found this to
> be a robust solution. I have also set up a systray button that drops
> the PA-jack bridge for times I wish to use a lower latency than pa
> does well (or some of the pa clients like skype that don't handle low
> latency at all)
>
> There is very little manual anything after configuration. Both jack
> and pulse are started automatically at session start and run till
> session end. The point of jack in the first place is to allow routing
> changes on the fly in a manual way, auto connect just gets in the way
> of that except for reconnecting things when restarting a jack client
> to where they were before it stopped.
>
> I use zita-ajbridge if I must have more than one audio device. The
> truth about this is that I use more than one audio device just to
> make sure that it works and so that I can help other people get their
> USB mic working. I have only one audio interface worth using for
> anything where quality matters: my delta 66 a semi-pro audio
> interface that is long obsolete. I have also found that I don't use
> more than 2 channels at a time anyway so even 6 i/o has been overkill
> for me.
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

Thanks for that comprehensive writeup Len. It sounds as if it requires
quite a bit of configuration surrounding PA, something I hope to avoid.
I really only need it because some programs talk to it directly and
with the default setup programs using ALSA talk to it as well.
If I have to mess with its configuration at least I now know which
things to look for, so thanks for that.

Regards,
Philipp