[LAU] Streaming setup with OBS and JACK

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Thu Jul 26 16:11:24 CEST 2018

On Thu, July 26, 2018 2:07 am, hollundertee at gmx.net wrote:
> Thanks for that comprehensive writeup Len. It sounds as if it requires
> quite a bit of configuration surrounding PA, something I hope to avoid.

Most of the complexity comes about because Len setup a script to configure
everything the way he wants every time he logs in.
If you just want to try this, then start jackd using the audio interface
you want, then execute:
$ pactl load-module module-jack-sink
$ pactl load-module module-jack-source

You will now have additional ports that show up in  jackd that you can
route just like any other:
$ jack_lsp
system:capture_1
system:capture_2
system:playback_1
system:playback_2
PulseAudio JACK Sink:front-left
PulseAudio JACK Sink:front-right
PulseAudio JACK Source:front-left
PulseAudio JACK Source:front-right

The system:capture and  system:playback ports are my physical audio
interface, the PulseAudio JACK ports are the pseudo-audio-device
connections from PulseAudio; I can connect the source to system:playback
and hear audio from my browser, other applications, system sounds, etc.,
and when I want to work on audio editing and not have any other audio
played through my interface I just disconnect those PulseAudio ports and
the rest of the software on the system does not detect, e.g. Firefox still
sends audio to PulseAudio with no complaints, but the audio is  just not
routed anywhere.

--
Chris Caudle