[LAU] Streaming setup with OBS and JACK

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Jul 26 16:15:47 CEST 2018

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018, hollundertee at gmx.net wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 08:58:50 -0700 (PDT)
> Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
>> I have been using PA and Jack bridged for about 4 years now. My
>> script has changed during that time, not for problems but to make it
>> more generic. I use jackd as the audio device for pulse. That is I
>> remove the alsa and udev modules from pulse (after starting). This
>> ensures that jack is always the default i/o and as a side benefit
>> allows jack to freewheel with no problems and gives better xrun
>> immunity. I do not use the jackdbus-detect module, but rather use
>> jacksink or jacksource modules as needed to ensure separate stereo
>> pairs rather 4 channels being used as suround... I always set the
>> pulse modules _not_ to auto connect, prefering to have jack_connect,
>> jack_disconnect or jack-plumbing do that job to the port I want
>> connected (system_1/2 are not always right).
>
> Thanks for that comprehensive writeup Len. It sounds as if it requires
> quite a bit of configuration surrounding PA, something I hope to avoid.

I use three lines to reconfigure pulse:
pactl unload-module module-jackdbus-detect
pactl unload-module module-udev-detect
pactl unload-module module-alsa-card

any one bridge from pulse to jack is a one liner:
pactl load-module module-jack-sink client_name=PulseOut channels=2 connect=no

(use module-jack-source for audio going to pulse)

This is not really configuration as you don't look for pulse's
configuration files. These act on an already running pulse.

As with all configuration or startup scripts, this is a write once use
many times solution. It is worth taking the time to write a proper config
file or startup script and then it can be forgotten pretty much.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net