[LAU] A Resonance Of Clouds [music from the Rack]

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Jul 30 00:05:49 CEST 2018

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 17:37:00 -0400
Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> What you're admiring, really, is not "the drones it can generate" but
> the complex modulation of tones. That's mostly a function of
> clever/lucky/responsive patching, which is the one thing that a
> visually-patch-cord-based system like VCVRack wins with over the
> afore-mentioned tools. It encourages "playing" in a way that the
> previous three tend not to (even though PureData is actually a visual
> patching language). This increases the chances of a sensitive user
> discovering/creating/encountering aesthetically pleasant results that
> are "novel". Put differently: people just don't tend to use CSound,
> SC or PD in the same way that they use a visually patched modular,
> even though there's nothing about how they work that prevents more or
> less identical patches from being developed within them.

Then this is a huge difference, and it shows in the output.  I've never
heard anything like that from PD, SC or Csound even if they can do it
all and perhaps lots more.  Haven't heard the same richness of tones
(modulation removed) as with the VCV rack modules.  And then the
modulation enriches the basic 'warmth' of the tones.  This said, I'm
not a fan of PD, SC and Csound that is to say, I will not spend hours
looking for tunes/pieces/examples made with those.  If you have any,
please post.

A Pure Data drone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1E52x15RYU

Super Collider example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYngev6RB_U

OTOH, a quick youtube search with 'VCV rack' will return a fair amount
of similar sounding sets, or at least in the same vein, as Dave's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OuiEDHKDRI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiLdYLklS0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Psd7adYMM

Of course, it's also possible to make unnerving music with a VCV rack,
although if it's only the interface that makes such a difference, then
it is extremely important regarding the quality of the output and as
such, it cannot be undistinguished from the instrument itself.  it
makes one with it to create the output.

And it puts the project out of the academic world and implants it firmly
in the practical world.