[LAU] Streaming setup with OBS and JACK

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Jul 30 17:46:52 CEST 2018

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018, hollundertee at gmx.net wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 07:15:47 -0700 (PDT)
> Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Jul 2018, hollundertee at gmx.net wrote:
>>
>>  [...]
>>  [...]
>>  [...]
>>
>> I use three lines to reconfigure pulse:
>> pactl unload-module module-jackdbus-detect
>> pactl unload-module module-udev-detect
>> pactl unload-module module-alsa-card
>>
>> any one bridge from pulse to jack is a one liner:
>> pactl load-module module-jack-sink client_name=PulseOut channels=2
>> connect=no
>>
> So I have experimented a bit and I think this is the solution I'm
> going to use, thank you very much.
>
> There are of course a number of old and new questions.
> 1) I have the system set up for jack as per usual (the limits.conf
> stuff) and that seems to work fine for jack, yet PA complains that it
> can't set up realtime scheduling or somesuch.

I think you will find this is because the PA-jack bridge is not
"finished"... actually it is example code which could use some love.
ignore the warning in other words. The reality is that Pulse does not
ensure bit perfect throughput anyway. Samples are lost over time whic is
why Pulse is not suitable for most proaudio applications with the
exception of live on air phone calls via skype.

> 2) I did look into the KXStudio applications. While Cadence worked it
> didn't give me any control about the PA bridging etc. and I often had

Cadence is an all in solution. If it does what you need it is great, but
if you need something else, you need to learn what Cadence has done. In
other words you not only have to know jack and pulse, but cadence as well.

> I'm somewhat confused by the at least three different kind of patchage
> clones (Catarina, Catia, Claudia) and especially by the use of ladish

use Catia or the Carla. (my opinion)

> 3) Carla as plugin host looks nice so far.
> Are there any others that work well, also with LV2 custom UI plugins?
> I looked into the calf suite and the compressors there have what I was
> missing from OBS, namely a gain reduction meter that helps me set the
> threshold appropriately. Are there any other good compressors or other
> tools for voice? I saw that there is a calf de-esser, EQ's etc. but I'm
> not sure that's needed.

Calf looks nice but there are others with better DSP.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net