[LAU] Is there a LAU music directory?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Jun 2 07:59:47 CEST 2018

On 06/01/2018 03:47 AM, Christopher Arndt wrote:
> Am 01.06.2018 um 10:35 schrieb david:
>> Hmm, for me, "made on Linux" makes me expect anything but the
>> usual commercial music. I don't think we have many musicians on the
>> list whose obsession is to make the same music that's already on
>> the Pop 40 lists. ;)
>
> I think that's a rather bold assumption.

I was just basing that on the kind of music that seems to get posted
here. Seems to mostly be synthesized instrumentals. Maybe it's just a
shortage of Pop 40 type singing voices?

> To me, the reason for wanting to use Linux as the base of the music
> production process, are completely non-music related.

I use Linux and Linux applications for all of my creative processes -
photography, art, music, fiction, poetry. I like the flexibility and the
freedom from budget constraints. I don't support software monopolies
like Microsoft and Adobe, and hate the Apple's "walled garden" and
"patent lawyers on speed dial" approach. I tolerate the walled garden on
my Android tablet because I like some of the free software on it
(Caustic, Ensemble Composer, ArtFlow, Simplemind Free) and there's no
Linux tablet OS.

How about you?

--
David W. Jones